Application for divorce

If you want a divorce, you must apply for a divorce to the district court where you are registered in the population register. First, however, you need to order a population registration certificate from the Swedish Tax Agency by calling 0771-567 567 and asking for the population registration department.

To find out the district court where you need to submit your application for divorce, visit, select “sök domstol” (Search for court) and then the “sök domstol efter postnummer” (Search for court by postcode) tab. Enter your postcode and select the district court that is displayed. Then select “blanketter” (forms) and print out an application for divorce. You can always call the district court for advice if you are not sure what to do.

The completed application must be sent to the district court together with your population registration certificate. The application fee is SEK 450 and can be paid using the district court’s online payment service. Don’t forget to include the names, addresses, personal identity numbers and telephone numbers of both spouses.

Only one of the spouses needs to apply for a divorce in order for the district court to be able to rule on a divorce.

Period for reconsideration in some cases

If one of the spouses does not want to divorce or if you have children at home who are under the age of 16, you will be given a period for reconsideration of six months. This begins on the date on which the application was submitted and registered.

Once the period for reconsideration is over, one of the spouses must write to the district court and request that the divorce be completed. This must be done within six months of the end of the period for reconsideration. New population registration certificates must also be submitted at this time.