How you divide up what you own

If you are married, your assets and liabilities will be divided based on their status on the date the application for divorce was registered with the district court. The division of property can be done voluntarily if you the spouses agree on how the property should be divided. In this case, the division of property is concluded with a written division of property agreement signed by you both.

If you are cohabiting partners, your home and household goods are divided up to the extent and value they had on the date when you stopped cohabiting.

If you are unable to agree on how the property should be divided, one of you must apply to the local district court for a property division executor. Application documents can be printed out from your district court’s website, via You will also find the payment service there for your application fee.

The district court will appoint a lawyer as the property division executor and this lawyer will call the parties to a meeting where you can give an account of your respective assets and liabilities. A decision will then be made on the division of property, which can be appealed against to the district court within four weeks if one of you is not satisfied.

If a spouse dies, a division of property is first made of the property in the estate on the date of death, after which an estate inventory of the deceased’s share is drawn up. Read more about wills and inheritance here.