If you have received a false invoice

Just because you receive a claim, doesn’t mean you have to pay it. You will not receive a non-payment record just because someone has asked you for money.

The most important thing is to dispute the claim as soon as you can by text message, e-mail or post. Always keep a receipt that the message was sent.

Your message should contain information about the invoice to which it relates, the fact that you are disputing the invoice and the reason why.

General wording for disputing an invoice could read “I dispute payment liability for invoice (number) because the claim is unfounded” or more precisely “I dispute invoice (number) because no product/service has been ordered”.

Do not use your signature to sign the message disputing the invoice; type your name or your company name instead.

If you have received a false invoice, make sure you monitor your letter box carefully. If you receive a letter from the Swedish Enforcement Authority or a debt collection agency, you just need to dispute this in the same way.

If the invoice fraudsters now want to persist with their demands, they will have to go to the district court. Without evidence, they will not obtain payment in court.

As long as you dispute the claim in time, there is no risk of you being given a non-payment record. As long as you have not received a summons from the district court, you can relax, as most cases do not go to court.

If receive goods that you have not ordered, you must return them as soon as you can. And last but not least: Never enter into an agreement on the telephone!